Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Conservatives, Too, Undergo Secular Indoctrination

Apr 03, 2018 Dennis Prager

Many years ago, I attended a dinner at a wealthy man's New York City condo with, among others, one of the most prominent and influential conservatives in American life. I admired this man then and I admire him now (he has since passed on). He was a major force for good in America.

At one point, the subjects of God and religion came up, and I mentioned how essential God is to morality -- that without God, morality is subjective, a matter of personal or communal opinion. Having debated atheist scholars, all of whom agreed with this not-very-audacious observation, I was quite surprised when this prominent conservative took strong issue with me: God is morally unnecessary, he stated with some passion -- why would any educated person think otherwise?

This was my first confrontation -- I was a young man at the time -- with the unsettling realization that to be a conservative did not necessarily mean being religious. Until that time, I had naively assumed that it did...........One has to wonder what secular conservatives do with statements such as this famous one of John Adams: "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."...........Here are some questions for secular conservatives:............To Read More.....


No comments:

Post a Comment