Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Representative Dave Joyce's Weekly Wrap

Congressman Dave Joyce represents Ohio's 14th Distict

Every year, my committee, the Appropriations Committee, has a big job. It is our job to write the bills that fund the government � all while ensuring government spending is smart and that taxpayers� money isn�t being wasted. There are 12 different, annual appropriations bills that my committee has to analyze, discuss, and debate. Over the past several months, we have held hearings, spent hours in committee, and listened to the pros and cons of hundreds of amendments. Now, after the last appropriations bill passed out of committee, the power of the purse goes to the House of Representatives as a whole. I am excited for these bills to go to the House floor and I hope my colleagues vote for smart spending.

Stand Against Iran
 
Part of my duty in Congress is to make sure laws are in place to keep Americans safe. This month was the one-year anniversary of a dangerous deal the Obama Administration made � the Iran Deal. I was troubled by this deal a year ago when it was first introduced, and I am still troubled by it today. There was no way that I was about to allow Iran to gain more power and flexibility � so I took a stand. Before we left, I voted to prevent extra dangerous allowances for Iran and to sanction the Iranian regime for their constant abuse of human rights and terror activities. As the graphic below explains, there were three measures introduced to Congress. I voted against giving them access to U.S. dollars, to sanction their human rights abuses, and against sending them money to fund their terrorist activities. It is time we took a stand against Iran, and I voted to do exactly that.





Zika Funding
 
 As we enter the dog days of summer, we are still waiting on Zika funding to be released from the White House. The House passed legislation that would provide $1.2 billion in federal funding to fight the Zika virus. The bill includes oversight mechanisms to ensure taxpayers dollars are being spent efficiently. However, Senate Democrats have held up the legislation because they don't want to pay for the funding. Even more amazing is the fact that the White House has spent only about one-sixth of its half-billion dollar funding pool for Zika from left over Ebola funds. The White House has only spent $112 million of the roughly $589 million from the Ebola funding that was supposed to be going to Zika.

I am excited to have the next few weeks as a District Work Period. It gives me time to actually meet with you, my constituents, and hear first-hand what I can do for you. Please reach out, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for reading!
 
Washington D.C. Office

1124 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225�5731
Fax: (202) 225�3307
Hours: M-F 9-5:30PM
Painesville Office
1 Victoria Place, Room 320
Painesville, OH 44077
Phone: (440) 352�3939
Phone: (800) 447�0529
Fax: (440) 352�3622
Twinsburg Office

Twinsburg Gov. Center
10075 Ravenna Road
Twinsburg, OH 44087
Phone: (330) 425�9291
Fax: (330) 425�7071

No comments:

Post a Comment